Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Dwarven City (Pt. 2 - Asphyxiation en Factice)

27th of Othen, 2734

The cell was warm. Too warm. I ended up using my robes for a sort of bed covering to ease the unrelenting nature of the stone bed. Taking view of my room I found that it was ridiculously sterile. All the corners had been maintained in a startlingly elegant way. Not a speck of grime around the hole, on the bed... even the door was clean. Not gleaming, but clean, as if it had been washed thoroughly. It was, to be honest, the strangest idea of a cell I have ever seen. For being so unrelenting, it was well kept. And yet... it was hot...

My throat dried out...

It was not long before I recognized the very early signs of quick dehydration. I began to feel a little dizzy, and ended up laying on my back on the floor. It had been hours of silence before I finally heard what I imagined to be footsteps. I had not the will or energy to get to the door and peer out. In fact I found myself completely gripped with fear. The steps were heave and large, but not like those of the one who brought me here. His were large for sure, but almost soft...

The steps stopped in front of my cell. I could feel myself stop breathing.

I heard the flick of a switch, and my cell suddenly received a gust of cool air from the bars in the door. I took a deep breath, unable to keep myself from sucking in the sweet life. This of course made me quite more dizzy for some time, but I came about. When I raised my head up off the floor to look at the door I found it open, and a dawrven woman standing inside it.  She looked like a granite block, aside from the quirky smile on her face. Her long blond hair was braided down to her waist, clasped with a metal circlet and hung over her right shoulder. For being a dwarf she had a soft face, and eyes that beckoned speech (something I would not oblige). Her clothed were made out of hard leather, a deep brown color, that made her seem a warrior type, though something suggested to me that this was the dwarven version of "soft". In her hands were two items. A massive cylinder twice the size of my head, and a bowl with a gigantic loaf of bread in it. She spoke to me with what was the most gentile voice I have ever heard.

"Can't take the heat?"

She walked over to me and placed the bowl and cylinder on my "bed" and put her hands on her hips. She raised an eyebrow,

"You just gonna lay there?" I did not move and she shrugged. "This food's for you. I'll come back for the dishes later." She approached the door, "Seriously, it's your mind playing tricks with you. You've only been here an hour." She tapped her temple, "Better get that under control."

She left.

An HOUR? Had it really been so? I could not imagine the damage that much more time in solitude would do to me... but then again, she had been perfectly decent to me. I sat up and shook my head... was I crazy? Of course it had only been an hour. I had done nothing but think the entire time. When one does not act, it can make time seem long. And all at once I felt like a fool. With new resolve, I made my way to the door and looked through the spaces for the four bars. I had a magnificent view of a hallway... a boring hallway. Stone walls as far as I could see. I did see a couple slats across the hall from my cell and realized that the air was pouring in from there. I breathed in it's vigor.Turning around I looked at the food with great anticipation. The cylinder contained water which was clear and beautiful. It looked fantastic. The bread was soft and fluffy, easily torn and smelled sweet, a contrast from the sterile room. I ate. It was as good as it looked and more. And soon, I had consumed the greater portion of both.

I woke up.

I sat up surprised to find myself incredibly well rested. I looked down at the stone below me, yes, it was still a stone. But... when had I fallen asleep.

I heard a sound, like water pouring over a mountainside, but very quiet. Soon, the slat in my cell door, which was about a foot off of the ground slowly opened and a blue gel like substance started to come in. I jumped up on the bed, afraid of what it might be. It ended up being about a foot square in size with little lightning like light flashes coming from within it. Swishing around the room I recognized it as the origin of the waterfall sound. The gel worked it's way around the room, into all the corners, over the bed, up the walls, and down the hole. Finally, it came to the bed, and I could tell that it was picking up debris as it went. I grabbed my robe and the brad and jumped off the bed. The floor was a little tingly from the gel. The entity crawled over the bed and cleaned it thoroughly ignoring the cylinder that still remained on the bed. it then crawled to the door and exited through the slat it had entered through.

I sat and marveled for a while.

The gel has visited me twice since then, and I had counted my days based upon it. I have not seen the woman again. Food and water seem to come to me in my sleep.

Aside from these things, it has been completely and utterly uneventful. So much for beginning my study right away.  Three days of nothingness? For those of you who are interested, I did try to speak to the gel today... it did not respond... imagine that. It was not until a few moment ago that I heard the door open, and the Emissarian rolled in. I scooped it up, so afraid that it might roll down the hole that I had to remind myself to breath. And now I am here with you again. with some contact to the outside.

I cannot think of what else to say to you. I have been speechless for three days... funny that I have nothing to say now...

No comments:

Post a Comment